Planning & Sustainablity
The Planning Division provides comprehensive urban planning and planning review services to the City of New Rochelle. The planning staff advises the Mayor and City Council on current and long-term land use and development issues, makes recommendations, and conducts studies in relation to the desirable planning and development of the City.
Functions of the Planning Division include:
- Assurance of satisfaction of conditions required for plan approval
- Comprehensive planning
- Coordination of inter-agency review, public notification, and preparation of environmental findings associated with land use projects
- Economic development
- Grant writing and administration
- Neighborhood planning
- Oversight and review of site plan, subdivision, and special permit applications to the New Rochelle Planning Board
- Special projects and research
- Waterfront planning
Policy Documents & Forms
Environmental sustainability is traditionally defined as meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
Given the Earth’s limited amount of natural resources and our concerns over the environmental preservation of our air, water, and land, the City of New Rochelle is working hard toward achieving its potential as an environmentally responsible community.
To that end, we are working to improve our energy efficiency and our recycling rates and we have created a sustainability plan to direct the "smart growth" of New Rochelle over the next 20 years. This sustainability plan, entitled GreeNR, will serve to guide the City’s future development so that New Rochelle can grow in an environmentally responsible, economically vibrant, and socially equitable manner. GreeNR identifies the City’s sustainability goals and presents specific initiatives to achieve those goals.