Public Works Permit Requirements

When is a Public Works Permit Required?

Property owner, contractors, utility companies and their contractors may undertake certain repairs and construction within the City right of way after obtaining a Public Works Permit. A Public Works Permit is required for any use, occupation, or activity in a public right of way including:
  • Activity that obstructs or impedes traffic or pedestrian crossing
  • Excavation in paved and unpaved areas
  • Installation of above and below ground facilities
  • Repairing of driveway apron
  • Temporary placing of roll-off containers in the right of way
For more information, contact the Bureau of Engineering at (914) 654-2131.