The New Rochelle Police Department Harbor Unit has acquired a new 33-foot SAFE (Secure All-around Flotation Equipped) patrol boat, upgrading its capacity for marine operations on the Long Island Sound. This SAFE Boat will allow the Harbor Unit to patrol Sound waters while providing the necessary tools and advanced technology required to work in indeterminate conditions in marine-related emergencies.
The purchase was funded through the federal Department of Homeland Security- Port Security Grant Program at no cost to taxpayers. Manufactured in the United States by SAFE Boats International in Seattle, the state-of-the art patrol boat features specialized accessories and design features for public safety including:
• FLIR Camera – Thermal Imaging, Night Vision and Infrared Detection which can Identify heat signatures of vessels and persons in distress
• Fire Water Monitor
• Underwater Sonar Scanning and 3D Imaging
• Radiological Detection System
• Sky Hook Technology allowing the boat to remain in a fixed position automatically by utilizing GPS without operator input.
• Raymarine electronics equipped with Automatic Identification System (AIS)
• 3 Mercury Verado Outboard Engines
Established in the mid-1930’s, New Rochelle’s Harbor Unit is a full-time certified Police Marine Unit servicing Westchester County’s Long Island Sound. In addition to covering the City’s 9-mile shoreline, the NRPD Harbor Unit provides support to neighboring municipalities, Westchester County, and New York City. The boat will be formally dedicated in spring 2022.