Holiday package theft is a common and annoying occurrence. The New Rochelle Police Department would like to help you prevent “Porch Pirates” from ruining your holidays.
Here are some tips:
- Schedule a delivery on a day that you know you will be home.
- Request that a signature be required.
- Request that your package be placed behind something so that it can’t be seen easily from the street.
- Have deliveries be made to your place of employment, if permissible.
- Ship packages to a location offering locker service.
- Use tracking numbers so you will be aware of the status of a package and when it is scheduled to be delivered and/or when it was delivered.
- Ask a neighbor or friend to pick up and hold your delivery.
- Install a digital doorbell or similar surveillance camera(s).
Report suspicious behavior to the N.R.P.D. by calling 914-654-2300 including packages that you did not order. Your address may be being used a “drop” location.