Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
RFP: Poet Sought for Special Project
Deadline: Feb.28, 2023
RXR Development Services, in conjunction with Outside the Lines Consulting, is asking for proposals for the creation of a poem to honor the enslaved population who lived and worked in the area near RXR’s new development at One Clinton Park in downtown New Rochelle, New York.
RXR is committed to recognizing the history of enslaved people in New Rochelle, whose stories are believed to have not been sufficiently told. The goal with the creation of the poem is to ensure that current and future generations remember and recognize the lives of enslaved inhabitants of New Rochelle and the role they played in the city’s long history.
The budget for the approved poem is $750 as an honorarium to the poet. The poet would keep all copyrights to the poem and work closely with RXR at a later point in time in the creation of an art piece to assist in displaying the poem in a plaza at the new site.
Proposals due: February 28, 2023
Selection of Poet: March 2023
Project Start Date: April 3, 2023
Poem to be submitted by June 30, 2023
Contact: Carol S. Ward, Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Information provided to Outside the Lines, by the New Rochelle Historical Society indicates that the French Speaking Baptist Church of New Rochelle (the former firehouse) was located at 12 Church Street. We have access to histories of the cemeteries written by historian George T. Davis in the 1880s. He places the burial ground near the intersection of Bank and Prospect streets (Bank Street is now Division Street). And additional research by the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) from 1940 adds to Mr. Davis’s research. The entry for the burial ground places it at the location of the firehouse. These documents will be made available to any applicants for review and research purposes as they prepare their submissions.
RXR and Outside the Lines are asking for a poem which can showcase the historical context and human stories of the enslaved populations of New Rochelle. The poem will also be used in the creation of an art piece later.
How to Submit Your Application
Applicants must include the following in this order and conform to the format detailed below:
● Summary/CV of your background, resources, and relevant experience.
● Examples from past projects of a comparable size and scope.
● Personal Statement as to why you are submitting your work and why you feel like this is an important project for you as an artist and New Rochelle.
● Three references from past clients of projects of a similar size and scope, if available, or professional references that are relevant to this work.
● Supporting materials of your choosing (e.g., audience studies, synthesized feedback, graphics to communicate a theme, etc.) may be included. Please include no more than five supporting materials.
1. Proposals must be submitted as a single 8.5”x11” document, 12pt type, in English.
2. Proposals must be sent electronically to email@example.com in PDF format.
Proposals will be judged primarily on the poet who best encapsulates the goals of the poem. The selection committee consists of representatives from both RXR and Outside the Lines Consulting.
Questions about the project, RFP, or proposal submission requirements must be emailed no later than February 15, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.